Thursday, September 25, 2008

The First Week & Some Observations

Today completes my first week of the semester here at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev. It is also the completion of my being in Israel for eight weeks. Things are going well. We had a toast to the New Year - Rosh Hashanah5769. I have set my class schedule and am also planning on sitting in and auditing a class called "Topics in Environmental and Natural Resources Issues in Israel and the Middle East". It sounds really interesting and the Professor is very knowledgable and very interesting, I just don't have enough room to take more classes for credit.

Anyway, a few observations:

The Israeli students are now done with finals and don't have class until November 12(?). The High Holy Days are right around the corner. The campus is basically deserted. The pool is pretty baren and some of the coffee stands seem to be closed for the "summer".

With the way our schedule works and the way Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot fall out on the calendar, I am basically not in class for a normal full week now until around the 22nd of October.

I can definately tell that fall is here now, and I don't particularly like it. I love summer. The temperature is starting to get cooler, especially at night. There is a breeze now and some clouds in the sky occasionally. I hope the leaves on the trees change colors though, but I don't think that they will.

No comments: