Monday, August 18, 2008

The Week

So Israel, being a Jewish country, has a different weekly schedule than I am used to in the United States. We go to school Sunday - Thursday and the weekend is Friday & Saturday. This is definitely taking some getting used to. It's weird talking to people online on Sunday and telling them about my day at school when I know that they are all enjoying the weekend.

Our weekend is also a bit limited in that Saturday is Shabbat. On Shabbat (beginning Friday night), most restaurants, stores, tourist sites, etc. are closed and there is no public transportation. Taxis, our only way to get around then, are more expensive. I have thus far enjoyed my Shabbats in Israel though, so even though we really have one day of weekend with a lot of options, the weekends are enjoyable.

No comments: