Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Highlights of the Week

This week is shortened due to Yom Kippur beginning tomorrow (Wednesday) night. Here are some highlights of the week:

Sunday night a group of guys went to see the ritual of Kaparot performed. It was very interesting, though I learned more about how chickens are slaughtered than the actual act, which I kinda disagree with. If you want to see some pictures, they are graphic, click here.

It is still nice enough to go to the pool, which I did on Monday. Well, I hung out and laid out, I was afraid the water would be too cold.

We've been discussing "Who is a Jew" in my Jewish Identity class. This is apparently a very complex issue...

The Overseas Student Program had a little pre-Yom Kippur gathering last night that was an interesting discussion of the holiday. We later had a learning program on Yom Kippur and Sukkot. Good fun.

Today in my Hebrew class we watched the movie Ushpizin. I really like that movie. My two classes tonight got canceled because the professor is sick. This gave me more time to plan out my break, which I just discovered starts tomorrow with Yom Kippur...

I also went to the library today to find books and make copies of chapters/articles for class. That was an experience trying to figure out how the library is organized when I cannot find the English speaking librarians.

No comments: